Monday 5 May 2014

Between The Lives by Jessica Shirvington

Publisher: HarperCollins
Released: May 1st 2013
Age group: Young adult
Pages: 336
Author info: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Rating:  


Above all else, though I try not to think about it, I know which life I prefer. And every night when I Cinderella myself from one life to the next a very small, but definite, piece of me dies. The hardest part is that nothing about my situation has ever changed. There is no loophole.

Until now, that is...

For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her ′other′ life - a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she′s a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she′s considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other.

With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments which bring her dangerously close to the life she′s always wanted... But just what - and who - is she really risking? 


Between The Lines is an interesting and page turning novel that intrigued me by its complex plot and heart-breaking ideas. Honestly I didn't know what to expect when I started this, but I was pleasantly surprised by how I enjoyed it. As always my main points are here:

1) Between The Lives really reminded me of a mix of two other novels, all based on the idea of living two lives, or living a separate/ detached life that others are unaware of. Pivot Point by Kasie West was the first to leap to mind. Based around a girl, who like Sabine in this novel, lives in two different lives, and in both the people around her are unaware of the other. The other is Forgotten by Cat Patrick. The protagonist (just like Sabine), has a life altering moment every night at a particular time. I adore both books and although the idea didn't seem as fresh when I approached Between The Lives, I still really did enjoy it.

2) One thing that I noticed while reading was that Sabine's character changed a lot between her life 'Shifts', and one I quite strongly dislike. It was not just her family, friends and surroundings that change each night, she also seems to change her personality to suit her new life. This really bothers me as I feel like even though I am reading through the eyes of the same person, that they are different in a way. More like I am reading through the first person of two twins rather than the same person.

3) I found the finish rather unbelievable unfortunately. I won't say any more because of spoilers, but I was quite disappointed of the ending yet part of me was also satisfied with it which probably sounds like I am unsure of it, and truth be told I am. It causes a lot of mixed feelings about being relieved yet incredulous. Pretty disorientating. 

4) I grew quite an attachment to Sabine, she to me seemed to be a rather forward and strong minded character. I am really happy that the female protagonists I've been reading about seem to be that recently, and this woman was certainly no exception. What Sabine did to survive, to protect those she loved, and to prove of her double life to those around her was truly astonishing and definitely the strength of this novel.

Between the Lives certainly had its strengths. And although parts were fairly predictable or basic, I found myself been drawn to many of the characters, turning every page wanting to know what happened on the next.

Buy the book:
Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble (audiobook)

No comments:

Post a Comment